Actions and Reactions

Senator Emmett Hanger (R-VA) is introducing legislation that would fund research into the effects of castration on sex offenders.  We spend a lot of money keeping sex offenders from becoming recidivists, and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to just snip snip and hey!  No more raping for YOU!

Now, I have definitely thought about this.  I have definitely thought about how this might SOLVE a problem.  I've also decided that it is absolutely a bad idea.

As anyone who has a dog who's been fixed knows, this doesn't stop behavior.  Or desire.  I can't tell you how many thousands of hours my old family dog spent humping his own very special pillow.

So how WOULD it effect the behavior of violet sex offenders to suddenly have no sexual outlet?

I'm no psychiatrist, but I have a lot of experience watching what happens when you tell somebody they can't do something they want to do.  It gets worse.

I have horrific visions of a future where sex offenders are turned into homicidal maniacs by removing their primary outlet for their emotions- instead of giving them the opportunity to learn to cope with their own physical and emotional needs, we cut them off (...) from the only outlet they understand.  We leave them trapped with their demons.

Frankly, I think the best solution is longer jail time.  Keep them in there longer than, say, the three year standard.  Keep the violent criminals in jail, don't let them out and make them more unhinged and dangerous.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punch Up (Or: Why It Doesn't Fucking Matter What You Meant.)

Dear Men

How To Actually Help [me minimize my awkwardness at normal questions]